Read Around the World
Harriet Bishop PTO Read-A-Thon | February 6-24, 2023
We are excited to kick-off the Harriet Bishop PTO Read-A-Thon! This is our BIGGEST and ONLY school-wide fundraising event that directly involves every Harriet Bishop student and family from PreK to 5th Grade.
There are many ways for students to participate and earn fun rewards for themselves and the school!
- Students will work together to “read around the world”, as every minute read will equal a mile traveled, and each trip around the world will earn a school-wide prize!
- Every student that submits their reading will be entered into a lucky draw for a chance to win some cool Harriet Bishop gear!
- We also encourage every family to consider their ability to help with the fundraiser. Our 2023 goal is $20,000, and every dollar raised will go towards earning additional school-wide prizes!
Our total school goal for 2023 is $20,000
Please visit our FUNDFUB ONLINE Fundraising Website where you will find information on:
- How much we have raised relative to our goal
- How to register your student/s to start collecting online donations
- Event Dates and Updates
- School-wide Donation Rewards and Incentives
- Our general sponsors
Ways To Donate
Create an ONLINE** FUNDRAISING PAGE for each of your students as follows:
- Register your Child by visiting https://www.getmovinfundhub.com/register. For School Identifier use: 5dc3224dd1879
- Email and/or Text your child’s student fundraising webpage to friends and family
- Post on Facebook or Twitter You’ll be surprised when donations come in from distant relatives/friends from High School/co-workers. Post and see what happens!
** NOTE: The PTO receives 100% of cash/check donations where online donations are subject to administrative fees.
Use the PLEDGE FORM provided at school to keep track of cash/check donations collected by your student(s). Enclose all cash/checks in an envelope/ziplock bag and return to your teacher by February 24, 2023.
Employer Matching Gifts
What is a Read-A-Thon and how does it work?
A Read-A-Thon is an event during which students read in order to raise money. For the Harriet Bishop Read-A-Thon, students, with the help of their parents/caregivers, collect money between February 6-24 to support the Read-A-Thon. The Read-A-Thon, which is 100 minutes of reading will take place at school on February 24, followed by a celebratory Pep Fest on March 3!
Why are we having a Read-A-Thon?
- 37% on SCHOOL (Playground improvements (swing set, gaga ball, game table, climbing wall), Yearbooks, Directories, PBIS, Safety Patrols, Spiritwear t-shirt for each student, Unity Mural)
- 25% on CLASSROOM (Classroom supplies / equipment based on teacher requests, Online Learning subscriptions, Phy Ed / music equipment, Artist in Residence)
- 20% on SCHOOL EVENTS (Hornet Hop, Smart Fair, Read-a-Thon, PTO speakers, Back-to-school night)
- 13% on FIELD TRIPS (Kindness Retreat, Base Camp, Creativity Festival, Transportation to Ebenezer or musical events, in-house Science Museum)
- 2.5% on COMMUNITY (International night, Service Day, Brainpower in a Backpack)
- 2.5% on ADMIN (PTO expenses such as copy fees, website fees and bank fees)
What are the Key Read-A-Thon Dates?
- February 6-24 – Event Dates
- February 10 and 17 – Return Pledge Forms and money (cash and checks). We count weekly and share fundraising progress with students/families.
- February 24 – LAST DAY to return Pledge Forms and money (cash and checks)
- February 24 – READ-A-THON Day
- February 27 – LAST DAY for ONLINE donations at FundHub
- March 3 – PEP FEST
Parents/Caregivers, why participate?
- Help build your student’s confidence by supporting them in their ask of friends, family and neighbors for pledges (read more about this in the student’s section).
- To support the funding of programs that this Read-A-Thon provides to your student/s.
- We consider Harriet Bishop to be a family, and so we work together to help each other. Together we know we can achieve great things!
- Support our school by choosing Harriet Bishop PTO for your regular charitable contributions.
Hey Students, this part is for YOU!
As part of the Read-A-Thon Fundraiser, we have fun prizes planned that you (with the help of your parents/caregivers) can help all the students at Harriet Bishop enjoy! This is your opportunity to share with friends, family and neighbors how much you love Harriet Bishop and ask them to support your education by supporting the Read-A-Thon fundraiser. Let them know that no amount is too little as every bit helps towards providing you awesome opportunities at Harriet Bishop. If you need a little help on what to say, here is an example script you can use/adapt.
EXAMPLE FUNDRAISING SCRIPT
Hello, my name is _________ , and I am raising money for Harriet Bishop Elementary School’s annual fundraising Read-A-Thon.
PARENT/CAREGIVER or STUDENT: The Read-A-Thon is an all school event, held on February 24th, where all students will be reading for 100 minutes and participating in other fun reading activities.
STUDENT: All the money raised goes towards student activities………
PARENT/CAREGIVER or STUDENT: ……….that enhance student learning and the development of the Harriet Bishop community like Reading Apps, Service Projects, Junior Achievement, Kindness retreats, Playground Equipment and Patrol, to name a few.
STUDENT: Would you be willing to support my school with a donation of any amount? No amount is too little as every bit helps towards providing students awesome opportunities at Harriet Bishop.
- (If they say YES, and give you MONEY): Thank you so much for your donation towards Harriet Bishop
- (If they say MAYBE): When may be the best time for me to check back in with you?
- (if they say NO, they can’t help): Thank you so much for your time today
- HAVE A GREAT DAY!
The Exciting Activities and Prizes for Read-A-Thon 2023
Read Around the World – Reading Log
- Read, or be read to, each day and record your minutes read on your Reading Log.
- Read books, magazines, comics, newspapers, recipes, poems, etc. As long as you are reading, it counts!
- At the end of each week, add up your total minutes read for the week, write your name, grade and teacher on the slip, and it in at school.
- Students who complete and submit their Reading Logs will be entered into a weekly lucky draw for the opportunity to win cool Harriet Bishop gear! Reading Log slips should be submitted at school on Fridays.
- The Reading Logs will be tallied each week, and the minutes read by students will go towards earning cool school-wide prizes. (1 minutes read = 1 mile traveled around the world)
School Wide Prizes!
We encourage every family to consider their ability to help with the fundraiser. Every dollar raised will go towards earning the following school-wide prizes!
Read-A-Thon Pajama Day (Comfy Clothes Day)
Mr. Essay on Rollerskates at Pep Fest
Teachers/Staff play “Minute to Win It” at Pep Fest
Kona Ice Truck! (Kona Ice for all students in the Spring!)
STRETCH GOAL – Inflatable Party!
Students will work together to “read around the world”. Each minute read will equal a mile traveled, and each trip around the world will go towards earning the following prizes!
2 x Around the World
3 x Around the World
Music at Lunch (on Read-A-Thon Day or Pep Fest)
4 x Around the World
Duct Tape a HB Staff Member (to be determined) at Pep Fest
5 x Around the World
Hot Cocoa on Read-A-Thon Day
READ-A-THON CORPORATE SPONSORS
A Special Thanks to our Corporate Sponsors who make the prizes possible! Please support them, as they support us!